Nylon has always been discussed by everyone. Recently, many DTG clients use PA-6 in their products. So we’d like to talk about the performance and application of PA-6 today.
Introduction to PA-6
Polyamide (PA) is usually called nylon, which is a hetero-chain polymer containing an amide group (-NHCO-) in the main chain. It can be divided into two categories: aliphatic and aromatic. The largest thermoplastic engineering material.
The advantages of PA-6
1. High mechanical strength, good toughness, and high tensile and compressive strength. The ability to absorb shock and stress vibration is strong, and the impact strength is much higher than that of ordinary plastics.
2. Outstanding fatigue resistance, the parts can still maintain the original mechanical strength after repeated inflections for many times.
3. High softening point and heat resistance.
4. Smooth surface, small friction coefficient, wear-resistant. It has self-lubrication and low noise when it is used as a movable mechanical component, and can be used without lubricant when the friction effect is not too high.
5. Corrosion-resistant, very resistant to alkali and most salt solutions, also resistant to weak acid, engine oil, gasoline, aromatic hydrocarbon compounds and general solvents, inert to aromatic compounds, but not resistant to strong acids and oxidants. It can resist the erosion of gasoline, oil, fat, alcohol, weak salt, etc. and has good anti-aging ability.
6. It is self-extinguishing, non-toxic, odorless,with good weather resistance, and is inert to biological erosion, and has good antibacterial and mildew resistance.
7. It has excellent electrical properties, good electrical insulation, high volume resistance of nylon, high breakdown voltage, in a dry environment.It can be used as a working frequency insulating material, even in a high humidity environment.It still has good electrical properties. Insulation.
8. The parts are light in weight, easy to dye and form, and can flow quickly due to low melt viscosity. It is easy to fill the mold, the freezing point after filling is high, and the shape can be quickly set, so the molding cycle is short and the production efficiency is high.
Disadvantages of PA-6
1. Easy to absorb water, high water absorption, saturated water can reach more than 3%. To a certain extent, it affects the dimensional stability and electrical properties, especially the thickening of thin-walled parts has a greater impact, and water absorption will also greatly reduce the mechanical strength of the plastic.
2. Poor light resistance, it will oxidize with oxygen in the air in a long-term high temperature environment, and the color will turn brown at the beginning, and then the surface will be broken and cracked.
3. The injection molding technology has strict requirements, and the presence of trace moisture will cause great damage to the molding quality; the dimensional stability of the product is difficult to control due to thermal expansion; the existence of sharp corners in the product will lead to stress concentration and reduce mechanical strength; wall thickness If it is not uniform, it will lead to distortion and deformation of the workpiece; high precision equipment is required for post-processing of the workpiece.
4. It will absorb water and alcohol and swell, not resistant to strong acid and oxidant, and cannot be used as acid-resistant material.
1. Fiber grade slices
It can be used for spinning civilian silk, making underwear, socks, shirts, etc.; for spinning industrial silk, making tire cords, canvas threads, parachutes, insulating materials, fishing nets, safety belts, etc.
2. Engineering plastic grade slices
It can be used to produce precision machines’ gears, housings, hoses, oil-resistant containers, cable jackets, equipment parts for the textile industry, etc.
3. Pull film grade sectioning
It can be used in packaging industry, such as food packaging, medical packaging, etc.
4. Nylon Composite
It includs impact-resistant nylon, reinforced high-temperature nylon, etc., It can be used to make appliances with special needs, such as reinforced high-temperature nylon can be used to make impact drills, lawn mowers, etc.
5. Automotive products
At present, there are many kinds of PA6 automobile products, such as radiator box, heater box, radiator blade, steering column cover, tail light cover, timing gear cover, fan blade, various gears, radiator water chamber, air filter shell, inlet Air manifolds, control switches, intake ducts, vacuum connecting pipes, airbags, electrical instrument housings, wipers, pump impellers, bearings, bushings, valve seats, door handles, wheel covers, etc., in short, which involves automotive engine parts , electrical parts, body parts and airbags and other parts.
That’s it for today’s sharing.DTG provides you with one-stop services, such as appearance design, product design, prototype making, mold making, injection molding, product assembling, packaging and shipping, etc.If needed,welcome to contact us.
Post time: Jun-29-2022